With so much attention to the opioid epidemic on youth and families, little attention is given to the older adults.
This Program will explore issues unique to the aging population, such as:
· How alcohol, medications, other drugs can impact an older person physically, emotionally, psychologically, and socially
· The continuum from “no problems, to use that could cause risks, to hazardous use, to addiction.
· The negative impact of stigma, stereotyping, and shame
· The positive impact of support, education, treatment, and recovery.
1. Participants will increase their knowledge of unique issues that arise when blending aging, alcohol use, medications, and other drugs.
2. Participants will be able to identify personal and societal biases toward individuals who are aging and might have a major problem (often hidden) with alcohol and/or drugs.
3. Participants will learn that the aged can, and do, recover from alcohol and drug abuse/addiction; and thus, enjoy an improved quality of life.