In the psychoanalytic process, clinicians can fail to differentiate the overt effects of trauma from their function as a defense against mourning over a loss.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be better able to:
- Clarify current concepts of trauma.
- Illustrate the defensive repetition of trauma in lieu of mourning.
- Recognize the obstacles to mourning in working through trauma.
- Determine the extent of inter-generational effects of trauma.
- Evaluate different strategies for dealing with trauma.